Thursday, February 26, 2009

Almost Spring!

It was a gorgeous day here today! It was supposed to rain, but i guess it rained during the night and that was it! It was beautiful! I can really feel the temperature getting warmer too. No need for slippers or heavy sweatshirts during the day. All bets are off at night tho! Still a bit chilly!

I cooked for my friends big mardi gras/50th birthday party this weekend. That was quite a job! I had fun tho. It was a lot of work, but it turned out well and everyone was happy! We had barely enough food tho! That is the hardest part of planning for a large crowd. I even went to some websites that help you figure out the food and they were way off for Jake's grad party. I actually went with I thought would be good and I did better on my own! I made Cajun/Creole food for this party and they were recipes that I have never made before - a no-no, but I always do it anyway! It is a bit more nerve-wracking! I am going to include one of the recipes I used because it was sooooo good! It was pretty easy too.

Shrimp Etouffe

2 lbs shrimp
1 c. olive oil
3 onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
10 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. worchestershire sauce
juice of one lemon
one can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles
salt
cayenne pepper
parsley, chopped
green onion tops, chopped

Saute veggies and spices for 30 minutes, Add shrimp, cover and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add parsley and onion tops. Let stand for 30 minutes. Serve over rice.

*Note*
You might be able to cut back on the oil to lighten this recipe up. It is the only high calorie item in the dish! So Yummy! Send me a comment if you try this recipe!

Have a great day!

Susan

No comments: