Saturday, September 13, 2008

In the presence of greatness




Hey Y'all! I spent all day down at The Stamp Art Shoppe today. First I got up at the actual crack of dawn to go down and sign up for the Tim Holtz classes that they will have there in November. I got in! I think they are pretty much full now tho. Then I took an awesome class called Collage Masterpiece from Joanne Burkett. Wow! It was worth staying up until 3 to get my photos printed! Check out her blog! http://www.burkiworks.blogspot.com/ These photos are of some of my collage pieces and you can kinda see the canvas underneath.



Seroiusly tho, I felt as though I was in the presence of a great artist. I tried to be a sponge and absorb all her tips and advice! I especially like the part when we got to get our hands all mucky and dirty to glue the papers down! My canvas turned out great with Joanne's helpful advice and I am still working on my collage pieces. I know I need to relax a little more with it, but I am working on it!



I love the discovery of art, whether you are learning something new or just discovering "happy accidents". I love that feeling when you know it is right and that wonderful kind of "Aha" moment. My mind usually is overrun with about a million ideas at that moment that were inspired by my discovery. It's quite a rush! Who needs drugs!



I know I have said this before, but I encourage you to play with your supplies more. You will discover things and create things that you never imagined. Another tip from Ms. Joanne was to give yourself a deadline and just throw some stuff together as quickly as you can. You may be surprised at how much you can overthink something into boring. I guess what I am trying to say is take risks! What the hell, its only paper, right?



Okay, I am going to leave you with one of my favorite quotes.






"Believing in our hearts that who we are is enough, is the key to a more satisfying and well balanced life." Ellen Sue Stern






I have to remind myself of that every now and then!






Have great day!






Susan

No comments: